Thursday, February 4, 2010

R is for Roasting

Sometimes I don’t want to stand over a stove. I grow tired of sautéing different ingredients at different times, and water takes too long to boil. Scrambled eggs sound dull. A frozen entree sounds bleak. So I turn to a busy cook’s go-to secret: roasting.

Roasting gives the illusion of effort. Instead of hours in the kitchen, I can get a tasty meal in eight quick steps. If eight steps still seem too tedious, don’t worry—half of the steps are optional, and none require standing over a stove.

You can roast any meat...whole chicken, chicken parts, pork ribs, pork shoulder, leg of lamb, prime rib, hamburgers...the more fat in the meat, the tastier the meat. I avoid lean meat, like thin pork cutlets, flank steak, skinless chicken breasts. Those cuts need a quick sear before the oven, and that’s an extra step that requires a stovetop. Almost any vegetable will roast. I’ve done squash, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, asparagus, peppers, tomatoes, carrots, zucchini... I’ve heard that stone fruits (peaches and plums) and hard fruits (apples and pears) work best for roasting, but any fruit is delicious when warm, juicy, and sweet. Some fruit, like strawberries and kiwis, might not look pretty after a stint in the oven, but would you refuse dessert because of aesthetics?

I’ll list my eight steps below, but please note that my directions don’t allow for advanced planning. I don’t know what you’re cooking, so I have no idea how long your food will take to cook. But I don’t claim this recipe to be perfect, just that it’s simple and easy. I recommend placing the raw ingredients in the oven whenever you have a free moment. The veggies and fruit can be eaten later at room temperature, and you can toss the meat back in the oven to warm. There’s no shame in pre-cooked food. You made dinner, and whoever is eating should thank you.

Roasting in Eight Steps

1. Buy something (optional – you can likely scavenge in your kitchen or pantry for something).
2. Turn on oven to 350 degrees.
3. Cut it up in pieces (optional).
4. Place it in an oven proofed dish lined with foil. You might think that this step is optional, but you’ll thank me later when you just toss the foil into the trash, instead of scrubbing a pan.
5. Add something (optional). If it’s savory, drizzle with olive oil and generously sprinkle with salt, pepper, and herbs. If it’s sweet, sprinkle with sugar and consider adding some cinnamon or a squeeze of lemon juice.
6. Put it in the oven, and go do something else.
7. Every once in awhile, check to see if it’s done. If it’s meat, check the temperature with a simple meat thermometer. If it’s anything else, just poke it.
8. When done, let it rest on the counter (optional). Meat will be juicer if it rests, and fruit will be less likely to burn the tongue.

Eat.

No comments: